What do I do if I smell Gas?
If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, you can call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night every day of the year. Your call will not cost you anything. Just pick up the phone, dial the number and you will be put through to a trained operator who will take all the details.
All calls to the National Gas Emergency Service are recorded, and may be monitored. If you smell gas, call free on 0800 111 999.
Don't create a flame or operate electrical switches. Do put out flames, open doors and windows, keep people away from the area and turn the gas off at the control valve.
What happens when someone dials the National Gas Emergency Service?
When you dial 0800 111 999, your call will be routed to the call centre. This is a 24 hours, 52 weeks a year service there are trained operators working round-the-clock waiting to take your call. A call handling agent will log all the appropriate details onto a computer. The kind of information you'll be asked for includes:
- The address / location of the suspected gas escape or gas emergency : Postcode details please
- How many people are at the property
- Where the smell is most noticeable
- How long the smell has been noticeable
- Are any neighbours affected
- Your name and phone number
- Any special circumstances or access information
You'll be asked a series of questions designed to help us build a picture of the reported gas escape or gas emergency. From these details, we can identify the right gas safety advice for you, such as:
- Opening doors and windows
- Turning the gas off at the meter
- Avoiding the use of any naked flames or electrical switches
All calls to the 0800 111 999 number are recorded and may be monitored